- Annual Neighborhood Meeting: Find a date that works for our board members and for our councilmember. You can meet in the park or at Church on the Hill. If you meet at the church you'll need to go up to the office at the Church on the Hill to book the Fellowship Hall for the chosen date from 6:00-9:00pm with their secretary. The meeting will be from 7:00-8:30pm but you'll also need to to set up and clean up. You will need chairs for 80 people, a table with two chairs at the entrance, and a microphone. A newsletter will be sent out letting people know about this meeting 10 days before the meeting. Sandwich boards will be set up on the corner of Wren and Skylark, Redbird and Skylark, Ironwood and Nightingale, and at the entrance to the park on Thrush Drive. We also advertise this on Nextdoor, on our email distribution list and put information about this on our website a month in advance. We will also repost this information on Nextdoor multiple times. We will need to have people to greet and direct our visitors at the entrance of the church and along the hallway. We’ll also need two people at the table at the entrance of the Fellowship Hall to sign people up, get their email addresses, and encourage them to pay their neighborhood dues.
- Board Meetings: Set-up, organize and run 3 board meeting every year
- Newsletters: Write, print and oversee the distribution of newsletters at least once a year.
- Treasurer: The Treasurer will maintain finances by tracking households that have paid their dues, deposit dues into the bank account, write checks for various expenses (annual picnic, newsletters, website, post box, ect.); and will keep a register that shows deposits and credits each month as reflected in our bank statements. At the end of each quarter they will send an email to all board members with the current bank balance and activities from the last month.
- Website: Maintain and update our website. Upload minutes of meetings and photos from our events.
- Reporting Problems: Before every board meeting a board member should walk through Canoas Park and report any problems to the city. They should also report any additional problems to the city such as potholes, etc.
Possible Association Activities
These are activities that will happen if people in our community choose to run them.
- Dumpster Day: Begin coordinating this in February. Find a date that works for most of our board members. We usually have our Dumpster Day at the end of April. Contact our city councilmember to set this up. Dumpsters go on Thrush Drive along the park. People will enter Dumpster Day down Lanewood Drive. You will need 5 dumpsters with one e-waste container. The city will contact and set up a Goodwill donation station as well. You will need at least 6 volunteers to help load dumpsters and direct people. Volunteers will need to show up at 8:45-12:00 on the day of the event. Our city councilmember will make a flyer and will have people from the city distribute them to our neighborhood. Sandwich boards will need to be put up in the usual locations 3 days before the event. We also advertise this as soon as we have a date on Nextdoor, on our email distribution list and post it on our website. Please repost this information multiple times on Nextdoor.
- Annual Picnic: We usually have our annual picnic in the beginning of September at 5:00pm. Find a date that works for all board members in February. We hire a taco truck in June for this event. To set this up have someone that can speak Spanish call Anahi at 408-841-3009. We also buy ice cream bars for everyone and put them in a cooler. Advertise this event on Nextdoor, ono our email distribution list and on our website as soon as we have a date. Repost information about this event multiple times on Nextdoor. Create and distribute newsletters 10 days before the event. Put up sandwich boards 3 days before this event in our usual locations. Remind people to bring blankets and chairs to sit on. We usually set up two 5 gallon containers with water and lemonade in them for everyone to drink. We also provide paper drinking cups and napkins. Set up a small table where people can sign-in, provide their email addresses and pay their annual dues. Tickets for the food and ice cream are provided when they sign-up. At the conclusion pay the taco truck and clean-up. Remember to invite our councilmember to our picnic.
- Movie Night at the Park: Set up, organize, advertise and run a movie night at the tennis courts at Canoas Park.
- Park on Wren and Almaden: Contact The Roads and Airports Department for the County of Santa Clara every April to have them come out and maintain the park. Send them a service request at www.sccgov.org/sites/rda/info/pages/service/aspx for additional help you can also email them at email@example.com.
- Street Parties: Many streets in our neighborhood have Street Parties once a year. Encourage people to set these up.
- Neighborhood Watch: Encourage people to set up a neighborhood watch meeting in their homes. To set this up contact Rebekah Souza at firstname.lastname@example.org or Marina Chakmakjian at email@example.com.
- Advertising Events: Post events on Nextdoor and on our website. Create 8 posters for our sandwich boards and set them up 3 days before the event. Sandwich boards will be set up on the corner of Wren and Skylark, Redbird and Skylark, Ironwood and Nightingale, and at the entrance to the park on Thrush Drive. Take them down once the event is over.
- Additional Projects Ideas: Neighborhood Yard Sale, create an email distribution list for our neighborhood.